Current register credible but new one will be more credible – EC says but 4 parties remain unconvinced

Deputy Chairperson in charge of Corporate Services, Dr. Bossman Asare

The tension between some political parties and the Electoral commission seems to be increasing by the day.

The two opposition parties are engaged in a stand-off with the country’s electoral management body over the decision to compile a new voter register.

NDC together with four other political parties last week boycotted a meeting aimed at introducing them to a new system.

They are accusing management of the EC of engaging the services of consultants without reaching a consensus with Inter-Party Advisory Committee.

The parties have however vowed to resist any attempt by the EC to compile a new register ahead of the 2020 general elections.

But at a news conference Monday, Deputy EC Commissioner Dr Bossman Asare justified the need for a new voters’ register with just a year to the general elections.

According to him, though the current register is credible it has been over-stretched.

“the current register is credible but it has been stretched to a point where you don’t want to take that same risk. We want to have something that is more credible. If you remember, during the exhibition some of you heard that some people were not captured because of the equipment we are using” he said.

Responding to the explanations given by the EC, Deputy General secretary of the NDC Peter Boamah Otokunor said in an interview with Starr FM that the EC’s justification is ridiculous.

“Their reasons are exceedingly ridiculous. They appear confused. If you agree that there’s no problem with the register. The register is credible, then what kind of credibility are you talking about again?” he quizzed.

He wants the Jean Mensa led administration to channel its energy into embarking on a limited voter registration exercise instead.

“If you agree with me that the current register is credible, then why don’t you go for an update and then do limited voter registration next year?. We in the NDC are saying that we’re not ready for the Jean Mensah’s new voter register on the condition that she’s able to prove that the new register will be cheaper than the old register” he said in the interview monitored by theghanareport.com.

 

Source The Ghana report/Sefanam Agbobli
2 Comments
  1. Gabriel says

    I don’t actually have a problem with the compilation of a new voters register, but the timing is what I personally don’t support. The Ghanaian economy is too stressed currently, Covid-19 also hanging around. The new register is not a priority of Ghanaian now, they can still compile a new register next year.

  2. Simon says

    We are in a coronavirus hole as a country, looking desperately for a way out. But the EC, thinks the way out is to dig further down. As a country, we are unable to raise $100 million for fighting the coronavirus. But the EC wants Ghanaians to use 800 million to compile a new register, after describing the old new as credible. Amazing logic. Common sense, thou art murdered in the politics of Ghana.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like