27 dead, over 19 injured in Upper West floods
At least 27 residents in the Upper East region have been confirmed dead following days of torrential rains which caused flooding in the area.
Reports indicate that 19 others have also sustained various degrees of injuries.
The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO), has however asked residents to relocate to higher grounds.
Areas that were hard hit include; Kasina Nankana East and South, Builsa South, Bawku among others.
Speaking in an interview monitored on Wednesday by The Ghana Report, Regional NADMO director, Jerry Asomani said the death toll currently stands at 27.
“27 people have so far died, 19 injured and over 200 houses have completely collapsed. Also, 1,278 houses have partially collapsed… For the injured, some have been discharged from the hospital and others are still on admission at the hospitals,” he said.
He also blamed residents for the situation, saying they were negligent.
“We have also observed that people have built in mushy areas. That is around rice farms. As for advice, our sensitization has been ongoing but the problem is that people have more often disrespected it. I think it is just negligence on the part of our people who have brought this upon ourselves.”
Several farmlands have also been submerged in the floods, a situation Builsa South MP, Dr Clement Appak fears could result in food crisis.
Mr Asomani made a passionate appeal to philanthropists to assist his outfit provide relief items to the affected residents.
According to him “grave yards are collapsing, boreholes are collapsing and water moving from grave yards into boreholes definitely might bring diseases.”
“So, we’ve invited the health sector to come in when the water recedes to come in and assist.”
The situation is expected to worsen as authorities in Burkina Faso ready themselves to spill the Bagri dam.