Antonio Conte denies food poisoning outbreak rumours
Antonio Conte has denied that there is a food poisoning outbreak at Tottenham, as well as calming fears that Harry Kane could miss his side’s final game of the season through illness.
Rumours of a spate of food poisoning akin to 2006’s infamous Lasagnegate were spread by Gary Lineker via Twitter on Friday morning, with Spurs soon briefing that those claims were wide of the mark.
Conte echoed these sentiments during his pre-match press conference ahead of his side’s Premier League meeting with Norwich on Sunday, though he did admit that a stomach virus had been rife at the club’s training ground throughout the week.
“If you remember the last game, we had three or four cases of stomach problems,” he said.
“In this week I have to be honest we had a couple of cases but we overcame the situation. Also members of the staff, one day they were not feeling so good.
“I don’t know why, the last week but also this week we faced this situation. In this moment though this virus is the last of our problem. We are close to a big achievement and we are totally focused. The situation of the players is the same as the last game.”
He added: “In my staff only one person had this problem and we kept him at home It’s a problem that lasts one or two days and then you are OK.
“The medical department try to take care of it with vitamins. This problem we have to face, but in my mind it is not a problem. We are ready to fight and to try and get a good result on Sunday.”
Separate reports in the morning had suggested that Kane would miss out against the Canaries with said illness – but Conte again quashed these rumours.
When asked if Kane would be fit for the game, Conte said: “Yes for sure, and because in the last game we had Dejan Kulusevski and he didn’t train on Saturday but was good to play. Harry doesn’t want to miss this type of game.”
Fourth-placed Tottenham go into the final day two points ahead of rivals Arsenal, who face Everton, but due to their superior goal difference a draw would likely be enough to secure Champions League football next season.