Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta has reiterated the government’s commitment to complete the Borteyman Sports Complex before the start of the 2023 All-Africa Games to be hosted in Ghana.
The government in August 2021 held a sod-cutting ceremony to start the construction of the 50,000 capacity stadium at Borteyman on the outskirts of Accra, with the expectation of completing it months before Ghana hosts the continent in the 13th edition of the games.
But the construction had to be suspended, with the government citing time constraints as the reason for the decision.
Instead, the University of Ghana Stadium was to serve as the centre for the games, with complementary facilities to be constructed at Borteyman.
But addressing Parliament in the 2022 Budget presentation, Mr Ofori-Atta said the government will procure logistics and equipment to begin construction of the multipurpose sports complex in the coming weeks.
“In 2022, Ghana will participate in the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham and continue with preparatory activities towards organising and hosting the 13th African Games in Accra in 2023.
“Government will procure sports logistics and equipment, and begin the construction of a new multipurpose sports hall, hostel facilities and an Olympic-size swimming pool at Borteyman in Accra,” he said.
The sports complex at Borteyman, which will cost an estimated $145 million, will house the following facilities:
• 400-metre 6-Lane Athletics Warm-Up Track with playing field for football; Washrooms
for male and female; Spectator stands for 500 people.
• One Thousand-Seater Competition Swimming Pool, collapsible to Five Hundred (500)
Seater. 8-lane Competition Swimming.
• 8-Lane Warm-up Swimming Pool.
• Five Hundred-Seater (500) Temporary Dome (Handball, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo,
• One Thousand-Seater (1,000) Multi-Purpose Sports Hall (Badminton, Boxing,
Volleyball, Weightlifting, etc).
• Five (5) Tennis Courts complex including One Thousand-Seater (1,000) Centre Court
(Covered Spectator Stand with a VVIP viewing stand),
• Space for Children’s Playground.