Court withdraws bench warrant for Sosu

The Kaneshie District Court has revoked a bench warrant which was issued for the arrest of Madina MP, Francis-Xavier Sosu, after he challenged the decision in court.

The court made a u-turn after lawyers for the MP had filed a stay of execution on the grounds that the warrant was unlawful and unreasonable.

“I have instructed my lawyers and two actions have been filed today, Tuesday, November 30, 2021. The application to the High Court for Stay of Execution and for an order setting aside the said Bench Warrant issued on November 29, 2021,” the legislator had said before the court’s decision.

Mr. Sosu, in his recent statement, added that he will not follow directives aimed at interfering with his work.

“I maintain that I have not committed any crime and will not subject myself to any unlawful arrest, detention, and malicious prosecution, which is why I have resorted to the law courts for the protection against what I see clearly as state-sponsored needless interference with my work as a public interest and human rights lawyer and a Member of Parliament of the Republic of Ghana.”

On Monday, November 29, the Human Rights lawyer, who has been charged by the Circuit Court for unlawfully blocking a public road and the destruction of public property, failed to appear in court for the third time.

Counsel for the accused Victor Adawudu told the court the MP is attending a parliamentary committee meeting and was, therefore, unable to show up in court.

He added that in view of the above challenge, his client had sent in a representation.

But the prosecution disagreed. Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Slyvester Asare, insisted the MP cannot send someone to represent him in a criminal matter.

He urged the court to issue a warrant for the arrest of the MP, thus the order from the court.


Earlier on October 25, the MP led some of his constituents to demonstrate against poor roads in the constituency.

During the protest, some of the protestors allegedly blocked roads, burnt tyres and destroyed some public property.

The MP was subsequently invited by the police for questioning but all attempts to get the MP before the investigation team was unsuccessful.

Later, the police sought permission from the Speaker of Parliament Alban Bagbin to invite the lawmaker to assist in investigations.

However, Mr. Bagbin declined to release him.

On two occasions, the MP failed to appear before the Kaneshie District Court, where he has been accused of unlawfully blocking a road and destroying public property during the protest.

The Speaker of Parliament explained that the MP was out of the country on parliamentary business at the last court hearing.



You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.