Ken Agyapong in court to answer contempt charges

After failing to turn up in court on Monday to answer his contempt charges, the Member of Parliament for Assin Central, Kennedy Agyapong is in court.

Theghanareport.com’s Gloria Kafui Ahiable reported that the controversial lawmaker was in the courtroom exactly 8.30 am ahead of the 9am time he was given.

The bespectacled legislator was accompanied by five other people—three males and two females.

On the day, he is to know his fate over hurling insults at the High Court judge for granting a default judgement against him, the vocal MP, draped in a sea blue African print, was full of smiles as he entered the courtroom.

He occasionally took a cursory look around the courtroom as he chit chat his companions.

His huddle of lawyers,  led by Kwame Gyan, also included Alexander Afenyo-Markin, Ralph Agyapong and Yaw Akrasi Sarpong.

The Assin Central MP was summoned by the Judge, Amos Wuntah Wuni, after he was seen in a video insulting the judge over a land case still before the court.

“You are a stupid judge. I will face you,” Mr. Agyapong said on his TV station Net2 last week.

He stressed, “I am not Anas to take bribe from you. I will deal with you.”

In a summon addressed to the MP, the judge asked the MP to show: “cause why he should not be severely punished for contempt if the matters are proven against him to the satisfaction of the Court.”

Since then pressure has been mounting on the Chief Justice not to interfere and allow the law to take its own course.

A group calling itself the Progressive Intellectuals, prior to Monday’s hearing called on the judiciary to punish Assin Central MP Kennedy Agyapong as it was done in the case of ‘Montie 3’.

According to the group, the apology from the lawmaker does not atone for his televised attack on a judge.

Mr Agyapong was scheduled to appear before the court on Monday but failed to do so as he was not served with the hearing notice.

The court, however, subsequently directed the registry to post a copy of the order, and also post it on the notice board of the High Court, land court division of Accra.

A copy of this order should also be posted at Net2 TV and Oman FM premises for three days.

The unfolding events are reminiscent of the 2016 electioneering and how the public reacted to the Montie Trio case involving political talk show host, Mugabe Salifu Maase and two panellists, Alistair Nelson, Godwin Ako Gunn over threatening comments on an Accra-based radio station, Montie FM.

The accused persons were sentenced by the Supreme Court on July 27, 2016, were found guilty for scandalizing the court, defying and lowering the authority of the court.

The ruling was delivered by the immediate past Chief Justice, Justice Sophia Akuffo.

 

2 Comments
  1. Martin Akpatsa, Tacit Humanity Foundation International says

    Let us see what will happen just as it happened to the Motie 3

  2. Anonymous says

    This case won’t go anywhere .u can’t jail him

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like