-Advertisement-

-Advertisement-

NPP invites parties for joint press conference on secessionists

NPP invites parties for joint press conference on Western Togoland rebels

The governing New Patriotic Party has proposed a bipartisan approach in dealing with secessionist attempt to break up the country.

Addressing a press conference in Accra, Monday, the General Secretary of the NPP, John Boadu dangled the idea of a joint press conference of political parties.

He said the separatist threats in the Volta Region called for a “united response”.

A group in the region has been violently agitating for the creation of Western Togoland, a breakaway from the Volta and Oti regions.

Joining in outright condemnation, the NPP said the creation of the country Ghana in 1957 had the active endorsement of leading personalities at the time.

“The decision by our brothers in Western Togoland to join the new Ghana was witnessed by chiefs like Nana Agyemang Prempeh II, the Ashantehene, Nii Tacki Commey, the then Ga Manste, Ofori Atta the Okyehene, Ya Na Abdulai, Nene Azuma, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, members of the big six all witnessed this historic event on May 9, 1956, when they signed the plebiscite” he noted.

“What we need is a united response to the development to demonstrate that we all will not condone any efforts by persons to create tensions and insecurity in any part of our beautiful country, we stand ready to assist the government in any way we can” he added.

The secessionist group, Western Togoland on Thursday, September,25 attacked two police stations at Aveyime and Mepe and seized 10 AK47 assault rifles after breaking into the police armory.

They ransacked the police stations, released inmates in custody, physically assaulted and injured police officers.

The group, subsequently, blocked major roads to the Region and burnt car tyres.

Condemning the acts, John Boadu said “the little we can do is to be seen using one voice to encourage the government to clamp down on these secessionists”

“We hereby call on all political parties to join in this national exercise to state our abhorrence for this heinous crime that has the tendency of affecting the peace of our country” he added.

Background

The secessionist group, Western Togoland attacked two police stations at Aveyime and Mepe and seized 10 AK47 assault rifles after breaking into the police armory.

They ransacked the police stations, released inmates in custody, physically assaulted and injured police officers.

The group, subsequently, blocked major roads to the Region and burnt car tyres.

A joint police/military enforcement team were deployed to rescue the police officers held in hostage.

So far,31 members of the secessionist group have been arrested and airlifted to Accra and are in the custody of the Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) and the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service for interrogated.

One person died and several others injured during the exchange of fire between the security agencies and the secessionist group.

The Homeland Study Group Foundation led by 78-year old, Charles Kormi Kudzordzi, aka “Papavi in May 2019 declared independence for Western Togoland, saying they were no more part of Ghana.

He was arrested together with some other members of the group.

Later, he was released, while others faced prosecution in different regions

1 Comment
  1. Anonymous says

    A good idea. However this should be coming from the presidency.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like