Police to prosecute Owusu Bempah’s supporters who assaulted journalists

The police administration has apologised to journalists who were assaulted by some members of the Glorious Word Power Ministries International who had accompanied their head pastor, Reverend Isaac Owusu Bempah, to court on Monday, September 13, 2021.

A statement signed by the Acting Director-General of Public Affairs ACP Kwesi Ofori, assured that a team is currently studying the footage of the alleged assault and would ensure the perpetrators are identified for immediate prosecution.

“It has come to the attention of the Police Administration that yesterday, Monday, September 13, some journalists were prevented from entering the courtroom during the arraignment of the Head Pastor of the Glorious Word Power Ministries International, Reverend Isaac Owusu Bempah and three others.

“It has also been reported that some journalists were attacked and prevented from working at the court premises by some persons believed to be church members and supporters of the above-accused persons,” it noted.

The service assured that the situation will not repeat itself.

“We apologise unreservedly for this inconvenience and wish to give the assurance that journalists will be fully protected and allowed to do their work at all times, including the subsequent coverage of this case.

“We will continue to do everything possible to deepen the cordial Police-Media relationship,” it added.

Earlier clash with the media by church members

Reverend Owusu Bempah is said to have arrived at the court premises a little after 11 am on Monday.

The accused persons were accompanied by some loyal church members who reportedly clashed with journalists gathered at the court entrance.

The irate church faithful did not want journalists taking pictures of them, so formed a barricade, hurling unprintable words at the journalists who had gathered to report on happenings in court.

Police officers at the premises subsequently denied most of the journalists access into the courtroom, even after journalists presented their identification cards bearing their names and the media houses they work for.

Also, some sympathisers reportedly poured water on the journalists, others had their mobile phones and cameras smashed for taking videos of the accused persons.

Meanwhile, the ‘prophetic’ head pastor is still in police custody after he was remanded by the Accra Circuit Court.

Why the church leader and his entourage are in court?

A police team stormed the church on Sunday, September 12, to arrest the suspects in connection to multiple videos containing threats and brandishing of weapons.

The church members are said to have allegedly assaulted some of the police personnel under the direction of Rev Owusu Bempah.

In a statement, the Director-General of Public Affairs of the Ghana Police Service, ACP Kwesi Ofori, said the injured cops had received medical attention and responded to treatment.

The police assured that “impartial investigations shall continue in this matter and the public will be duly updated”.

Several videos have been circulating on social media in which junior church pastors brandished weapons amidst threats to attack Nana Agradaa, a fetish priestess who claims to be born again.

In one of the videos, two persons were seen issuing threats against Nana Agradaa and dared her to reveal her location for a clash.

The other waved a foreign-made pistol as he indicated that they were ready to face Nana Agradaa’s men.

In another video, the man who flashed the pistol claimed he had a licence for the weapon and could use it at will.

He vowed to “finish” anyone who would cross his path.

In the Twi language, he claimed laws do not work in Ghana, for which reason one could commit murder and escape punishment.

“In Ghana, you can kill someone and walk freely. It was my property I brandished, and no one can do anything about it.”

Prior to that, Rev Owusu Bempah and some men had besieged the Kokrobite residence of Nana Agradaa. They threatened to beat her up for raining insults on the head pastor of the Glorious Word Power Ministries International.

Nana Agradaa stayed indoors for hours, and Rev Owusu Bempah was heard saying that Nana Agradaa had failed to show up.

After some minutes, Nana Agradaa appeared on top of her storey building and recorded a live video on social media about Rev Owusu Bempah’s presence and armed thugs at the premises of her residence.

A team of law enforcement officers were dispatched to the scene to ensure calm.

Rev Owusu Bempah was later heard in a video saying the “battle had started” and threatened to deal with Nana Agradaa.

He explained that his junior pastors had responded to Nana Agradaa’s insults several times, but he was “ready” to face her personally.


Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like
where to buy viagra buy generic 100mg viagra online
buy amoxicillin online can you buy amoxicillin over the counter
buy ivermectin online buy ivermectin for humans
viagra before and after photos how long does viagra last
buy viagra online where can i buy viagra