-Advertisement-

-Advertisement-

Shatta Wale and three others remanded into police custody [Video]

Dancehall artiste Charles Nii Armah Mensah, popularly known as Shatta Wale, and three others have been remanded into police custody for a week.

The artiste is alleged to have masterminded false information suggesting that he was shot by unknown assailants at East Legon and was receiving treatment for bullet wounds at an undisclosed health facility.

Shatta pleaded not guilty to the count of publication of false news that caused fear and panic in the public domain.

Three others who appeared in court with him Kojo Owusu Koranteng, Shatta’s personal assistant, Eric Vanetor, a graphic designer and Iddrisu Yussif, a beautician, were charged for abetment of criminal publication of false news.

Police said preliminary investigations revealed that the widely reported gunshot attack on Shatta Wale on Monday, October 18, was a hoax.

Counsel for accused persons, Jerry Avenorgbo had prayed the court to grant his clients bail as they were not flight risks and had a fixed place of abode.

However, the prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Dennis Tekpetey opposed the bail application urging the court to remand the accused persons for further investigations.

He argued that another aspect of the case was still under investigation and hence granting bail to the accused persons will interfere with the investigation.

The court upheld the prosecution’s argument and remanded the accused persons.

The judge, in remanding the accused persons said, “As much as the liberty of an accused person is paramount, the safety of society must be considered”.

They are to re-appear on October 26 this year.

Shatta issues apology prior to Thursday’s court hearing 

The artiste took to social media to apologize to his fans and other people who had been affected by what he described as a prank.

He said he took the phones of the team members and made the fake post.

He made reference to a prophecy that was made by the founder and leader of New Life Kingdom Chapel International, Stephen Akwasi, that he would be shot dead on 18 October 2021.

According to Shatta Wale, he was surprised that the security services could not give him protection after that prophecy came.

“So the police of this country want to tell me none of them saw those threatening statements online to take action?

“This pastor said 18 October, Shatta Wale will be shot, and you want to tell me you didn’t see from your cyber crime department, nor did you hear or come across anything like that online?

“I won’t wait for Ghana police to call my father and tell my father his son got shot this afternoon. I won’t wait for Ghana stupid media houses to spread the news to my fans about me being shot because all we wish in this country is for dead people and funerals.

“If my life can be threatened and there is no law to take action on that, then I guess I will do what is right in the eyes of God,” he posted on Facebook.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.