Shatta Wale storms out of IGP meeting
Dancehall artiste, Charles Nii Armah Mensah, popularly known as Shatta Wale, created a scene at the Police Headquarters in Accra on November 10 as he stormed out of an ongoing meeting initiated by the Inspector General of Police (IGP).
Exhibiting an angry mood, Shatta Wale abandoned the meeting between the IGP and stakeholders in the creative arts sector, citing unfair treatment.
Wednesday morning was the turn of the creative arts sector and Shatta Wale was also invited as one of the entertainment personalities.
Shatta Wale breaks protocol
Graphic Online reports that as part of the protocols, the media was asked to stay out of the meeting. Additionally, the recording of the meeting was barred.
However, a few minutes after commencement, Shatta Wale was seen filming the session.
A police officer reportedly asked him to stop but he got angry and reportedly spoke harshly to the cop in the presence of the IGP, senior police officers and other creative industry persons at the gathering.
Shatta Wale was later seen exiting the building as discussions were ongoing by the persons in attendance.
The musician’s fury was that some of his colleagues at the meeting were recording the session with their phones.
However, when he also pulled out his phone, a policeman approached him and asked him to stop.
He felt he was singled out and could not fathom why the police did not act or order the others to stop filming but him.
It comes at a time Shatta Wale has been dragged to court by police for causing fear and panic.
Shatta Wale’s pending case
The 37-year-old musician is currently on bail pending a case in court.
The artiste is alleged to have masterminded false information suggesting that he was shot by unknown assailants at East Legon and was receiving treatment for bullet wounds at an undisclosed health facility.
Shatta has since pleaded not guilty to the count of publication of false news that caused fear and panic in the public domain.
Three others who appeared in court with him Kojo Owusu Koranteng, Shatta’s personal assistant; Eric Vanetor, a graphic designer; and Iddrisu Yussif, a beautician; were charged for abetment of criminal publication of false news.
Police said preliminary investigations revealed that the widely reported gunshot attack on Shatta Wale on Monday, October 18, was a hoax.
Shatta Wale’s apology
The artiste took to social media to apologize to his fans and other people who had been affected by what he described as a prank.
He claims he took the phones of the team members and made the fake post.
He cited a prophecy that was made by the founder and leader of New Life Kingdom Chapel International, Stephen Akwasi, that he would be shot dead on 18 October 2021.
According to Shatta Wale, he was surprised that the security services could not give him protection after that prophecy.
“So the police of this country want to tell me that none of them saw those threatening statements online to take action?
“This pastor said 18 October, Shatta Wale will be shot, and you want to tell me you didn’t see from your cyber crime department, nor did you hear or come across anything like that online?
“I won’t wait for Ghana police to call my father and tell my father his son got shot this afternoon. I won’t wait for Ghana stupid media houses to spread the news to my fans about me being shot because all we wish in this country is for dead people and funerals.
“If my life can be threatened and there is no law to take action on that, then I guess I will do what is right in the eyes of God,” he posted on Facebook.