UPDATE: Three arrested over Alabar shooting

Police in the Ashanti Region has arrested three suspected armed robbers over a robbery incident that happened at the Alabar market in Kumasi on Friday, October 30.

The three were part of a team that had turned the Alabar market on its head before running out of luck with the police.

Hamza Nuhu, 22, was shot in the right thigh by police during a pursuit and currently on admission at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) under police guard.

The others are Salifu Iddrisu, 18; and Ali Razak, 18.

“They are on detention to assist police investigation, whiles a manhunt has been launched for the arrest of the remaining robbers,” Ashanti Regional Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Godwin Ahianyo, revealed.

The robbery which occurred in broad daylight saw scores of traders running helter-skelter.

One person was shot dead with four others wounded.

The injured are responding to treatment at the Manhyia Government Hospital.

The deceased has been identified as Nuhu Fuseini, a 54-year-old onion seller.

An amateur video of the incident which has since gone viral captured seven men on three motorbikes armed with guns and machetes at the market.

One of the suspects fired into the traders before they fled the scene on their motorbikes.

The Alabar market is the biggest black market in the Ashanti Region, the equivalent of Tudu in the Greater Accra Region.


Previous incidents

The latest robbery incident adds to a series of attacks reported in the region.

At least four separate shooting incidents have happened within a period of two weeks in the region.

On October 20, 2020, a Chinese woman was shot in a daring armed robbery attack near Atinga junction in Kumasi.

According to an eyewitness account on Abusua FM, based in Kumasi, the armed robbers sped off on a motorbike, making away with the victim’s bag.

The victim was rushed to a health facility for medical attention.

The incident happened just 24 hours after a similar shooting in Kumasi was recorded.

This time, a 36-year-old man, Maxwell Awetor, was killed as he entered his friend’s house at Atonsu, a suburb in the regional capital.

He had gone to the bank to withdraw some money.

According to an eyewitness, two suspected robbers accosted the victim immediately after he entered his friend’s house.

The suspects were also on a motorbike and fled the scene after the incident.

You might also like

Comments are closed.