Bounty on killers of 90-year-old increased

The Ghana Police Service has increased the bounty placed on the head of the killers the 90-year old woman, Mariama Akua Denteh, who was lynched for being a witch.

The Inspector General of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh, had announced a GH₵ 2000 as a reward for anyone who offers information for the arrest of the killers of the nonagenarian.

But the amount of money attracted a public backlash as a section of the public mocked the police for offering an inadequate amount for the arrest of the culprit in the incident which happened at Kafaba, a farming community in the Gonja East municipality of the Savannah Region.

Speaking to Asaase Radio, the Regional Commander, DCOP Enoch Adutwum-Bediako, revealed that the amount had been increased by GH₵ 5,000 for information on two key suspects who are still at large.

The police responded by increasing the amount to GH₵7,000 to incentivise the public to provide intelligence for the arrest the culprit: a soothsayer, Fillina and her accomplice.

He also called out to the public to support them with information to speed up their investigations since the town was now a deserted one.

At least six people, including the Chief of the community, Kafabawura Seidu Yahaya, are in the grips of the police and are expected to be arraigned.

A soothsayer, only identified as Selina, and her accomplice stormed the East Gonja Municipality of the region to drive out witches, accused of hampering the progress of the town folks.

Reports had it that the soothsayer claimed that the deceased was a witch who prevented rain from falling in the community.

To exorcise her, the feeble 90-year-old was dragged 800 meters away from her home only to be lynched in broad daylight, while the community members cheered.

Armed with a whip and what appeared to be a wooden board, she was caned, kicked and slapped while the amused community members watched.

The deceased was seen in a viral video pleading with her attackers to spare her life as she denied the accusations of being a witch.

Chief accused

Family members of the nonagenarian had accused the chief of the community, Seidu Yahaya, of being the brain behind the violent end of Madam Denteh.

But the chief has denied sanctioning the invitation of the alleged spiritualist into the community.

The Kafabawura was arrested on Wednesday almost a week after the incident.

The regional police commander said the Chief was the main person who could assist in the arrest in the two women but he was currently in police custody.

But he said the community was being cooperative because the five suspects who were apprehend came out of their own will to confess their offences.

Meanwhile, the six suspectes are expected to be put before court on Thursday.




Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like