Charles Bissue’s Case: File Statement Of Case Within 14 Days – Court Orders OSP
An Accra High Court has ordered the Office of the Special Prosecutor to file its statement of case within 14 days.
The directive comes after the team failed to file its statement in the suit filed by the former Secretary of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM), Charles Bissue.
When the case was called on Monday, March 13, counsel for the OSP Issidore Tuffour pleaded with the court for another opportunity to file.
He explained that the delay in filing their processes was because the OSP’s office is handicapped in respect of resources in managing legal matters.
According to Mr. Tuffour, he had just been appointed by the OSP to represent it in this matter owing to some constraints the office is facing.
“I have just been assigned to the execution of this case and I will plead with the court for an adjournment to comply with the rules of court by filing a Statement of Case,” counsel told the court.
However, counsel for the plaintiff, Nana Agyei Baffour Awua, described the development as unfortunate, even though he said the team would oblige the request of time.
After listening to the parties, the court presided over by Justice Olivia Obeng Owusu granted the request. She ordered that the statement of the case should be filed within two weeks, by close of the day, March 27.
Counsel for the plaintiff was also granted a two-week leave to file a statement of reply where necessary after the OSP had filed.
Mr. Bissue, who doubles as a one-time Secretary of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining, had filed a case against the OSP over alleged corruption.
With the suit filed, Mr. Bissue wants the court to stop the Office of the Special Prosecutor from further investigating and prosecuting him over alleged corruption involving illegal mining as captured in a galamsey expose by investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
It will be recalled that in December 2022, the plaintiff (Mr Bissue) sought refuge at the court because he had already been probed and cleared by the police.
He was convinced there was no need for the Special Prosecutor to open a new investigation, as he was not cited for wrongdoing.
The case has been adjourned to April 17, 2023.