The Ghana National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GNCCI) has decided to petition Parliament’s Select Committee on Mines and Energy over the increase in utility tariffs by the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC).
According to the Chamber, the decision follows several appeals to the PURC to review the tariffs for large scale businesses since the current economic crises is already biting hard on their operations.
This has forced most of them to look elsewhere for cheaper tariffs, while some others have fold-up.
Speaking in an interview after an engagement with the PURC which ended inconclusively, President of the GNCCI, Clement Osei Amoako, said it will continue to push for a downward review of utility tariffs for its members.
“There is a way out to get it [downward review of utility tariffs] done. They would have to look at it”.
“If it has to go back to Parliament for them to look at it, we will lobby the Parliament Select Committee and all those that matters to make sure we will not keep the current price. This will ensure ordinary Ghanaians and businesses survive”.
But in a sharp response, Chief Executive of the PURC, Dr. Ishmael Ackah said nothing can be done about it for now since the tariffs have already been gazetted to take effect come February 2023.
“This adjustment, the decision has been made and it has been gazetted as a law. For now, nothing can be done on the part of PURC”.
He however added that “there would be other quarterly adjustment. So, what we are doing is establishing the protocols for engagements”.
Within a period of less than six months, electricity and water tariffs have shot up significantly on two occasions.
Electricity bill first went up by 26.6% in September 2022 and 29.9% in February 2023, totaling 56.5%.