Bawku Conflict: Government Renews Curfew After Five Deaths
The Minister for the Interior has renewed the curfew hours imposed on the Bawku Municipality and its environs in the Upper East Region after five people were killed in fresh clashes.
The shooting is reported to have occurred on Wednesday, February 8, 2023.
Bawku Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Adamu Seidu, revealed that atleast 10 people had been shot, and six deaths were recorded within three days.
It is reported that the deceased persons include a 12-year-old boy.
The wounded individuals are receiving treatment at the hospital, with tensions high in the community.
Consequently, the Minister for the Interior has taken swift action to address the situation.
The curfew will last between 8:00 pm to 5:00 am daily.
Meanwhile, the ministry says there is a total ban on carrying arms, ammunition or any offensive weapon in the area, warning that anyone found with any of those things will be arrested and prosecuted.
The government has also called on the chiefs, elders, opinion leaders, youth and people of the area to exercise restraint in the face of the challenges confronting them, as well as use non-violent means to settle disputes and channel their energies into ensuring peace.
The Upper East Regional Minister, Mr Stephen Yakubu, has also appealed to factions involved in the Bawku chieftaincy conflict to calm down.
“No one will come here and make peace with us except ourselves,” the Regional Minister said, adding, “people will come and listen to us and go, people will come and talk to us and go, people will see us and go.
“But we will have to make the peace ourselves and live in Bawku. If we do not do that, no one will come and make peace for us.”
He said women and children are dying as a result of the conflict.
Healthcare delivery services are also affected, compelling health workers to flee leaving expectant mothers to their fate.
The Regional Minister made the appeal when he led the Upper East Regional Security Council, the Bawku Municipal Security Council and other stakeholders, including the Ghana Health Service and the Ghana Education Service, to Bawku to engage the two factions.