Fake Mpohor kidnap: Connect FM journalist granted GH¢50k bail

A journalist with Connect FM, Paa Kwesi Simpson, has been granted bail by the Takoradi Circuit Court after he was arrested in a recent kidnapping case at Mpohor described by the police as a hoax.

He was granted GH¢50,000 bail with two sureties – one being a resident of Sekondi-Takoradi.

Mr Simpson, who is the host of the morning show on Connect FM, was earlier remanded into police custody for two weeks together with one other person, Stephen Kumi.

The two pleaded not guilty to charges of publication of false news with the intent of causing fear and alarm to the public contrary to the Public Order Act, and false publication of news through an electronic device.

In his plea for bail, counsel for Nhyiraba Paa Kwesi Simpson, Ebo Donkor, said Paa Kwesi Simpson must be seen as one who was only doing his work as a journalist.

Meanwhile, Stephen Kumi, the alleged boyfriend of Stephanie Kumiwaa, who was also remanded for two weeks with the same charges is still on remand.


A report of an alleged case of kidnapping involving a 26-year-old woman, Stephanie Kumiwaa, received attention in sections of the media.

Initial investigations by the police revealed Stephen Kumi claimed that his girlfriend Stephanie Kumiwaa, 26, had been kidnapped at Mpohor on 17 October 2021 leading to the publication by the journalist.

A statement from the police, however, said checks at the Mpohor Police District Command indicated that no such case had been reported there.

The police thus insisted that the kidnapping story was untrue.

During interrogation, Stephen Kumi told the police that he met the victim on Facebook, and they started dating.

On 17b October 2021, Stephanie called to inform him that she was visiting him but did not show up.

Two days after, the accused boyfriend said he received a call from a friend of Stephanie saying that someone had called her using Stephanie’s phone.

The friend informed him the suspected kidnappers were demanding a ransom of GH¢2,000.00.

Police subsequently escorted suspect Stephen Kumi to Mpohor and all efforts to locate the residence, family relations of Stephanie and Sandra for confirmation of the alleged incident proved futile.

“The Western Regional Police Command wants to use this opportunity to remind the media that they should cross-check all information from the Command for confirmation before publications are done. The police will continue to collaborate with them to combat crime in the region,” the police statement added.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You might also like